Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What makes homestay life successful?

I have stayed in homestay for 2months
and, I decided to move out to live on my own.

I thought Homestay allows me to get a room from a local family
and to better learn the Canadian lifestyle as well as improve my language ability.
I asked my agency to find a homestay for me, and the only request was the family should be native Canadians.
I didn't consider about food, environment, commuting...etc.
My homestay mom and dad were both working, so they were pretty busy all the time.
I actually didn't have enough chances to talk to them.
Also, they didn't care about my taste, so I couldn't have Korean food at all for 2months. T.T
The family often ate out and went out without students. It made me feel isolated.

However, I realized that the biggest problem was me.. myself!
I was too shy to talk to them first. I was trying to hide myself in my room.
I could have talked to them what I wanted.
I should have said I want to have some Kimchi MOM!
I could have made our relationship more friendly.
I was not expressing but just hiding my real mind.
Therefore, my homestay life wasn't that successful.
Don't expect the family to do things for me first. Let's be active and optimistic!

I failed at successful homestay life...><
Hopefully, this article is helpful for students who have difficulties with living in homstay.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP