Tuesday, March 4, 2008

simply different

I come from Bologna (Italy) and my name is Fabrizio ( i know it's difficult to pronunce for you!)

Bologna is a small medieval town between Florence and Venice. It is not so small, but.... for the North American standard...yes it is small (everything is relative no?).


Anyway, we have the oldest University in the world (since 1088) and we are very proud of that. We have a lot of students from every part of the world, also Canadian for example, so it is an interesting city.

In this way, Bologna is very similar to the multicultural and open minded city, Vancouver, where I'm living this nice winter. But in Vancouver everything has grown to enourmous proportions!


I'm not only talking about the huge streets, or the high buildings, or the big cars but also of the multicultural integration, of the cultural ferment or of the young and original possibilities for the young people (like me for example).


Everything here is huge...even the milk packaging!







The distances here are are so different. But the differences whip me up. The world would be (and maybe will be) dull if anyone looks, does, wears, eat, thinks the same things.

So, why we are doing that?

I don't like to confront myself with a mirror. If we were all the same, it would be so dull, whereas the good message of the globalization should be in the direction to appreciate our diversity, not viceversa.

So I'm enjoing Vancouver because there are many different etnic groups, because the streets are so different from the narrow streets of my mediaval town, because I can't say which one is better...because they are... simply different!







ciao
Fabrizio

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP